- 1 Ceramic frieze on the bath - advantages and features of the installation
- 2 What could be the border for a bath, as his mount
- 2.1 The gap between the wall and the bathroom and the selection border
- 2.2 Types of borders for baths and their installation
- 2.3 Installation of plastic curbs and corners
- 2.4 ceramic bath curb mounting technology
- 3 Border bathroom on the tiles: the basic steps for proper installation
Ceramic frieze on the bath - advantages and features of the installation
Even a professional, experienced professional when installing a bath between it and the wall remains a slight gap, what can we say about the beginning craftsman who performs the installation of their own hands.
The gap in this vulnerable spot arises from the curvature of the surface of walls, violations of sequence of works or uneven edges of the product. If the bath is lined with beautiful tiles, then seal the joint place will help curb ceramic bathroom which organically flow into the interior space. In this article we will explain what a tiled corner, how to choose it, and then install.
Ceramic Area - decorative element, manufactured from a tile of the same color and texture as tiles, used to protect the junction between the tub and the wall of the penetration of moisture, which often causes moisture, odors or propagation of mold or fungus.
Professional masters called this item "quirk", but this term is much rarer. Border is selected under the tiles used for walls, not to destroy holistic look of the room. The following types of tile fillets:
- "Pencil". Ceramic Area type "pencil" is a narrow rectangular tile whose width is 4.3 cm and length 30 cm. This element is used for waterproofing a small gap between the tub and the wall, and decorative purposes, to divide the space visually zone.
Note! Typically, a single collection includes ceramic tile Area 1-2 species. If you choose tile in the set of which shall not be a special border, you can choose the right color rim in other collections. In the worst case corner you can make with your own hands, cutting the tiles into strips 3-4 cm wide.
Pick up a tile and a beautiful high-quality ceramic area is quite simple, thanks to the extensive range. Professional Matera is strongly not recommended for sealing joints between the bath and the wall of the plastic borders, if the room decoration is done with the help of a tile. The advantages of the ceramic parts are:
- Water resistant. Area flag does not absorb water as the glazed surface repels liquid.
- Strength. The great advantage tile borders strength of products considered and the resistance to mechanical damage.
Note that plug the joint between tiles and a bathtub with a plastic border that is much cheaper than the ceramic, it is not recommended, because of the low porosity tiles securely lock a rim problematic. In addition, the term of service of plastic products is much less than the operating period of the tiles.
Ceramic corner - an effective means of eliminating the gap between the tiles and the bathroom, which flows into the soul when using water sprays fall. However, the high cost of this element makes homeowners wonder it needed to trim the fillet of the premises. The disadvantages of tile borders consider:
- Expensiveness. Compared with plastic counterparts ceramic borders are much more expensive. The price of domestic products starts from 130 rubles per 1 share, and imported fillets can cost 500-600 rubles, or even more.
Note that when selecting a ceramic corner to seal the gap between the tiles and the wall, you need to consider the width of the element. It is important that the superior border gap width for a thickness of 2-3 cm.
Installation of ceramic frieze is performed after installation of the bath and wall tiles. For work using tile adhesive, silicone sealant antibacterial additives, trowel and grout. The work is performed in the following order:
- The sides of the bath and the adjacent tile surface is cleaned of dirt, degreased and dried. To prevent damage, wall decoration stick with masking tape.
Note that mezhshovnoe space - the most vulnerable to moisture and mold spot, so filling it is recommended to use a special water-resistant grout with antibacterial additives.
What could be the border for a bath, as his mount
After installing a bathtub, shower tray, washbasin or sink stantehpribora between the rim and the wall a gap remains. Sometimes it is only a few millimeters, but the water there still falls on the wall runs the floor and in low degree of sealing can "cheer" neighbors from the bottom a dark stain on the ceiling. Even if you live on the ground floor or in a private home dampness under the bathroom would not be good - mold and fungus, musty smell. Because of these gaps are trying to close. There are many and varied borders for baths, which close this gap. Put them not only in the bath, but also on the trays in the shower or near a sink. Choose a different profile, and its size. And setting the principles remain the same.
Well-designed, the gap between the bathtub and the wall
The gap between the wall and the bathroom and the selection border
If the bath is installed after the walls, between its rim and the wall of the gap inevitably remains. Big or not - depends on how smooth the walls and leveling of the bath itself is exposed. In any case, this gap is better to close up. Firstly, there is no dampness under the bathroom, and secondly, look better.
To select a border for a bath it is necessary to proceed from the slit width. Depending on the distance to the wall mounting sequence changes:
- If the distance between the bathtub and the wall up to 3 cm, you can immediately install a side. Only his lower shelf should be broad - it should be 3 times as wide as the slot. And yet - in this case only fit tight corners - ceramic or plastic. Fillets tape better glue with a small gap of a few millimeters or previously repaired it tsemetno-sand mixture.
- If the distance from the side to the bathroom more than 3 cm, first it has to be repaired. There are three options:
- Attach the bottom formwork, pour concrete, after setting (three or four days at least), you can continue to work.
- Close the gap moisture resistant plasterboard in two layers. Is the frame which is fastened to the wall on the dowels, and by the bath - the mounting foam or liquid nails. If the regiment gets more, put the vertical supports. In general, collect a full frame. On the drywall can be mounted fixed bath or tiles if the gap is very large and the width of the corner is not enough to close it.
- Make a side of the same tiles that lined the walls. Option familiar from previous years, but today it is unpopular.
Assemble the frame of metal sheets and sheathe its moisture-resistant drywall. It can combine with the frame for the screen under the bath
Having defined the sealing gap technology, you can select a border for a bath. It's not as easy as it sounds - a lot of different options, so you can get lost and.
Types of borders for baths and their installation
All borders to the bathroom can be divided into two broad categories, each of which has several subtypes:
- plastics and PVC:
- plastic (PVC) borders for baths;
- plastic corners;
- adhesive tape;
- or polyurethane foam (ceiling) curbs.
Multiple profiles Plastic edging bath
More democratic at the price of products in the first group, they are also easier to install. More expensive and complex to install ceramic, marble or granite curbs, but they also look much more colorful. However, the bathroom design should also be relevant.
These may be ceramic or marble
Installation of plastic curbs and corners
If we talk about plastic edging bath, they can be installed under tile and the tile (or any other wall finishes). Curb to the bath floor tiles set in the process of finishing the walls - the top edge is put under the tile. This option is good, but push / replace the bath without breaking finish impossible.
Plastic edging Bathroom Tile
The second type of curbs installed after the completion of finishing works. In this case, the bath simply put to a wall and having a gap closing one of the plastic or plastic parts.
Plastic curbs imposed on the tiles, have different profiles, with different sizes of shelves. Bumpers themselves these products flexible and they fit snugly against the wall and plumbing items. The usual finishing plastic corner tighter. Tightly install it only on a smooth wall - not on the tile, and especially not on the relief tiles. For such cases, there is a plinth on the bathroom PVC with rubber cushions. Rubber edge of this border fit snugly even in the joints between the tiles and in relief. Where fit enough dense, "work" the adhesive or sealant.
Which sealant use
In most cases, set a border for a bath in the silicone sealant. But after the problems: after a while the seam becomes dark - mold develops. We have to shoot everything, disinfect, degrease and put in place. The gap between the normal state and the appearance of mold at all different - from one to several months. It depends on usage, but most - of that there is sufficient ventilation in the bathroom. If the ventilation is bad, can bloom in a few months.
Some types of sealants for aquariums
There is an exit. And not even one:
- Can use sealant for aquariums. He does not bloom under any circumstances (perhaps as part have antibacterial ingredients). Like an ordinary plumbing, aquarium sealant is a white, there are transparent. Only the packaging is usually small and the price is higher. But it's worth it.
- Waterproof glue. Anyone but a good and reliable. If you need an example - Moment Crystal. Inexpensive, reliable. But one thing: it is necessary to use strictly according to instructions. Then it keeps for a long time, and mold and mildew on it do not start.
- Good (read expensive, proprietary) sealant based on MS-polymers. He's really a hydrophobic and repel water even continues through the year, while conventional acrylic begins to flow in just 4-6 months. There among MS polymer sealant compositions with antibacterial components that prevent the development of fungi and mold. After drying, they remain flexible, because minor shifts of cast iron or metal baths are transferred without problems.
How to glue does not fall off
Many have used the border for a bath more than once, but each time a problem - after some time or plinth area falls off the wall. This occurs because when you use a bath, shower cabins - they are at least a little bit, but moving. You step into a container, it is slightly shifted, out - again minimal, but progress, leaned on the edge of the bath - again shifted. And so every time. Of course, if you attach the curb to the bath firmly, sooner or later it will fall off. A large range of motion in acrylic bathtubs and shower trays, a minority - in steel and cast iron. Accordingly, from acrylic tanks skirting falls off quickly at the other lasts longer.
One of the good options - provides secure attachment to the wall
That was not the problem, PVC border for a bath or shower tray only stick to the wall. This is especially true for acrylic tanks. With this method of mounting an adhesive layer on top gives the water flow into the gap between the bath and the wall. The lower part of bracket firmly pressed to the side (when installed must be well pressed), excluding water ingress side. In this case, all the progress quietly compensated elasticity of the material and the plinth is kept on the wall.
Such a border would be good to "work" with acrylic bathtub - it is not necessary to glue the bottom
If you are not satisfied with this option, look for the sealant, which after drying remains sealed (in particular, these are the same sealants based on MS-polymer). For iron and steel baths it is suitable for bath border will be held. Acryl is unfortunately not an option - too big progress.
There is another unpleasant moment, which often occurs after installing the PVC curb bath - an unpleasant smell from under the plastic. Make connection 100% hermetic fails, even though the microscopic cracks, but remain. They seep water, where it remains. Through time, the water rots, begins to emit the same scent. This happens due to the installation of the technology adopted for skirting the bathroom - we recommend that you fill in the gap between the tub and wall sealant, and then install the plinth. The idea is clear - to water trapped under the plinth is not leaked under the bath. What happens - the water remains in the remaining interval, from which "smells".
How to set a border for a bath
To avoid this trouble, it is better to set a border for a bath immediately on the wall, does not pre-filling the gap. Yes, with this installation under the bath may leak a few drops of water. But that amount will not cause any harm, with adequate ventilation after some time, the moisture dries.
Mounting of plastic edging bathroom
With all the differences in the way of installation of various types of profiles, there is a certain sequence of actions, which is observed and leads to a good result. In general, it is necessary so to do:
- If you have an old or baseboard border, it is removed. From the walls and the collar remains of sealant or adhesive is removed. For this purpose, usually a knife, you can wallpaper.
Remove old moldings and adhesive residues
Degreasing - one of the stages
Wipe any excess with a soft cloth
That's all. Border bath set. Now we have to wait for some time until the composition hardens and grab. The exact timing depends on the type of the adhesive / sealant and can take from several hours to several days.
In this procedure, self-adhesive and is mounted (curb) tape for finishing joint bath and wall. This is an inexpensive and fast way to close up the gap is small in size. Serve this finish can only slightly less than plastic, but the trouble with it is less, although all stages of preparatory work are still valid.
Bonding tape curb bath
There is one thing that we must remember when installing a curb on acrylic bathtub. Before installing the bath is not more than half filled with water and in this form are left until the sealant polymerizes.
Methods of bonding the curb with duct tape and flexible (rubber) edge
It just seems that the install plastic strip with an adhesive layer only. Not at all: it is necessary to immediately set in place as to move the plinth unrealistic. Unstick when an attempt is also not the best solution - part of the adhesive remains on the tile and bead bath / shower tray. In general, it is necessary to work out without removing the first protective tape.
Even if you are able to immediately put in place a border, not all so good with this type of skirting. The fact that the tape to which they are attached, fairly thick, and even tightly pressed to the wall, and the sides of adjacent edges is not too tight. It is quite possible leakage in some places, especially at the seams.
How Good skirting with a flexible edge
If you are a plinth for a bath very much, it can be stuck on the adhesive / sealant. For this purpose the adhesive tape peeled off, put on the wrong side of the adhesive composition, put in place, very good cuddle. A layer of adhesive is obtained a thin, very firmly pressed against the baseboard, leakage is almost eliminated.
And another point - that never left the curb on the other side, which is attached to the bath to apply the adhesive is not necessary (described above).
ceramic bath curb mounting technology
Ceramic curbs consist of straight, angular and of mechanical elements. Number of straight elements considered starting from the bath / shower tray sizes, angles and ends with a standard bath rooms requires two to corner shower tray may be one. The number of direct members take with a small margin - to trim.
Before laying desirable to inspect all the elements. If necessary (joined inaccurately, there differences in thickness, etc.), the back side can earn a bit file. Bulgarian is better not to use it - too big a chance to do more harm than cure.
The installation method of the ceramic depends on the curb wall and finish the gap size. If this tile, you can use waterproof glue. If the tiles are embossed or simply plastered wall, the installation adhesive is not required level of tightness dates. In this case mounted ceramic border for a bath on a special tile adhesive for wet rooms. It is sold in bags in the dry state, prior to use some of it mixes with water until uniform.
The colors may be different, but often use white - a color bath
The entire process consists of several steps:
- By raids and dust cleaned surface. If there is mold, remove it, treat the wall antibacterial compound, let it dry.
- If the gap between the bathtub and the wall more than half the width of the existing border, it must first be repaired. Better - do bottom formwork and pour cement mortar. The second way - attach the waterproof giposkarton in two layers. If the regiment receives a large (greater than 5 cm), it should be done with a bias. It can be about 5%. And the shelf will be used (to put it something), and the water will not stagnate on it. If necessary (if the border does not cover it all) is first laid tiles that decorate the walls, it has been going after the installation of ceramic border for a bath.
- Start from one of the corners. Set angle, then two adjacent straight segments. On the back side of the curb applied adhesive layer, is leveled. It is set in place, pressed, aligned to the standards.
- Then continue laying to one side. Sidewalls installed on the end members.
Ceramic moldings for a bath can be so
The process of mounting a ceramic frieze bathroom is not much different from the laying of tiles. Actions are the same. Leveling elements necessary in two directions - to and the edge and the plane went smoothly and without any changes.
Border bathroom on the tiles: the basic steps for proper installation
All photos from the article
Quite often, after the installation of the bath and wall ceramic tiles between the bathroom and the bathroom tiles are small gaps or cracks.
This article will be considered a border on a tile for the bathroom, which allows to decorate the defect, and provides installation instructions special ceramic border for a bath.
Why the need for a plastic border
Plastic edging on the tiles in the bath performs several useful functions:
- It allows you to design a bathroom more aesthetic;
- Financial savings;
- It protects joints against ingress of moisture, and therefore prevents the development of mold.
Border bath on the tile also has a number of advantages:
- Ease of use;
- Overlapping seams between the tiles with a soft gum;
- High hygiene due to lack of an environment in which bacteria can grow.
The function of an element such as a border for a bath under the tile, is to prevent moisture penetration into the various slots. Regardless of the quality of the used grout is always a certain probability of infiltration of moisture into the slot.
Fastening border may be accomplished in two ways, wherein its appearance depending on the fastening method practically does not change.
The selected type of attachment affects primarily the fact at what stage will be set up this border:
- "Under the tile", when in the process of laying tile in the bathroom is attached to the curb bathroom - tiles already laid after the border is secured to the wall;
- "On the tiles," that is, when mounted frieze - tiles for bathroom already laid. A particular advantage of this method is that it can be applied already after the repair is over, in the course of the immediate operation of the bathroom.
Useful: thanks to its compact size and borders can be used for sinks that have narrow margins.
Border tile in bath under a normally packed in 35 pieces in a box made of cardboard, the length of one border is 180 cm.
There are various forms and colors of ceramic borders: convex, concave, white or colored, decorated or not decorated with various patterns, etc.
The choice of what kind of border and border tiles for the bathroom to be used, it should be done taking into account the specific bathroom interior guided by their tastes and preferences.
Installation instructions border for a bath with his hands
For work you need the following tools and materials:
- Cylinder silicone sealant, preferably comprising a specific sanitary additives to prevent reproduction of mold;
- Corners in an amount sufficient for the calculation and provides a small margin;
- Tile adhesive (1-2 kg);
- Bar emery;
- Putty knife;
- Gun, through which the sealant is extruded;
Useful: you can eliminate the use of a gun, for this sealant must be purchased in tubes. On the bathroom is enough two or three 50-milliliter tubes.
Needed for the amount of bathroom design borders quite easily calculated in the following manner:
- Measured in contact with the wall side of the tank;
- The resulting length is divided by the length of the curb. The resulting number is rounded to an integer and add 2-3 pieces in stock as Breakage or damage.
Curb at the corner of the bath
Stages of work:
- Before laying the curbs at the junction should be pre-cut at 45 one of the edges of the border, and you can use ordinary pliers.
First, the 45 must draw the cutting line, and then gently and slowly break off of the line (like "bite off") small pieces curb.
Next, the resulting cut polished with emery bar. Abutting each other curbs recommended to cut and fit in pairs, to reduce to a minimum the resulting gap when laying. Two joints require cutting two pairs of corners;
Along the perimeter of the bath, a layer of sealant in those places where it is in contact with the tiles. Place pre-treatment should be free of dirt and dust.
Uniformity is achieved by filling the gap with the help of a spatula alignment, eliminating any cracks, into which moisture may later leak;
- While a hardening sealant, tile adhesive is prepared, following the instructions given on the package;
- Using a spatula backside border is covered with glue, whereupon the curb under the tile in the bath adheres to the joint, thus it is necessary to remove the excess glue.
Subsequent curbs are placed similarly, tightly clutching each other so that between the pasted near borders, there were no gaps;
Useful: in the process of installation and leveling of curbs can slightly improve the result, gently tapping him a rubber mallet.
- The next day, after the glue has completely cured, it is desirable to produce copious curbs stacked watering water, which allows more firmly secure the adhesive composition;
- Transitions and small gaps formed between the tiles and wall corners are sealed residues sealant or grout.
In this installation of curb completed. After performing these tasks bathroom becomes more comfortable place taking various water treatments. In addition, the pleasure of using the bathroom will only be supported by the knowledge that this is done with his own hands.