- 1 Fences made of gabions
- 2 How to make the gabion fence with their hands: making a fence of stones in a grid
- 3 Fences made of gabions with their hands - step by step guide
Fences made of gabions
The main criteria in the selection of building materials for the construction and interior design houses, fences and other objects is not only the quality and price, but also meet modern design standards. One of the most popular solutions are gabions. It is a natural material that best approximates the interior nature.
EXAMPLE classical fence gabions
If translated literally, the French word "gabion" means "stones in the grids." This name is a good description of the design of this type of fence, which consists of a grid with large cells, fastening stones or gravel. Due to such structure of such a barrier does not require constant care and is not dangerous to humans. Stone for gabions is an excellent fastening material, which over time will only strengthen the entire fence.
Variant fence gabions with detritus
- For the protection of a solid wall. As such, the gabion will serve as a protection for the owner, and the guarantor of the privacy of your personal life.
- For decorative fence with brick, wood and other materials for decoration.
Installing fence gabions, you choose the best alternative to other types of fencing. For example, if there is debris of small size, such as broken pieces of brick or stone chippings, it can be used as the material for the wall.
It is used for fixing mesh to the gabion is a reliable fastening elements for small fences.
Such a structure can be decorated easily with various plants planted in a prepared ground layer between the stones. The best example of such decorations will be curly flowers, covering the entire area of the wall.
Decoration plants fence gabions
- Long service life, which does not require constant repairs or renovation paint layer;
- Great choice of form and color of the materials used;
- The use of natural and natural raw materials for the building;
- Possibility to use different materials, which may vary in structure and type, so you can realize almost any design idea;
- Production of ornamental stone materials for the base layer grid coverage.
Among the shortcomings that any mention difficult, perhaps more time-consuming installation process when compared with wood or completely iron fences types.
Specifications fence gabions
Restrictions in this kind of fences in terms of height, width and fill the gabion stone from almost non-existent, as they are determined by the owner. In drafting should take into account the conditions at the site, where they will undergo construction works, as well as the principal amount of the budget that will affect the material construction of the base.
Example of use of gabion fence portion in the landscape
For the core support the entire structure using galvanized fence poles. In addition to these materials, it is necessary to think in advance about the fasteners and the filler remaining space between the stones for gabions.
Mounting a fence made of gabions with their own hands, should adhere to certain rules and tips. Before starting work, should pay special attention to training places under construction - the perimeter. Place the foundation should be carefully cleaned, cleared of grass and weeds: to stay clean soil.
Check the strength and level surface on which you are going to put the pillars. This is important because the ground under the weight of the stones can deform and eventually cause the collapse.
The process of mounting the fence gabions
Next set fence posts. To do this while digging trenches in advance drilled holes along the entire length, at a distance of two meters from each other. Once installed and concreted poles. Before continuing all the work should be allowed to freeze the solution.
Usually it is enough to one day under favorable weather conditions. After fixing pillars can begin to fill the trench solution that further allow to mount the frame of galvanized mesh.
The trench under the foundation for a fence
Wait for complete solidification of mixtures and can start filling space stone for gabions. When filling a third of capacity is used for fastening the studs parallel sections, this will increase the reliability and service life of the structure. After all the work you can close the top of the wall section, but this is optional.
Advantages fence gabions
The great popularity of the use of gabion for wall construction and decorative structures due to several advantages.
The following are the main advantages:
- The use of heavy-duty components for construction. Welded gabion consists of a bundle of solid rock and iron grid, can therefore move virtually any load which, for alternative solutions would have been disastrous;
- High ecological and natural building. Such monolithic structures are well suited for those who love the natural landscape and does not want to make big changes in the environment;
- The simple mechanics of installation and low cost of all works. If you compare the cost of purchase and installation of fences and gabions of conventional brick fence, the savings amount to more than 60%. The same is true for the foundation, which does not require large expenditures for construction;
- The specific advantages of a good noise absorption, high strength of the whole structure that can transfer the unpleasant disasters such as groundwater pressure masses wave, ice and erosion disasters.
Another feature of gabions - it is an opportunity to do stuff with their hands. Here you have the opportunity to show their talents and to do everything just as you want.
In order for you to receive the gabions with their hands as a material for construction, you need no skills or big expenses. It also does not require expensive tools, but she is a very simple extraction procedure.
First you need to spend the right choice of suitable stones. Proper material selection directly affects the strength and stability of the whole structure, especially if they are used for the protection of protected areas. In addition, you can make a bed of the gabion, which will use the rest of the material at the end of work.
EXAMPLE original beds of gabions
Virtually any solid material of small dimensions can serve as a filling for fencing.
But the production of gabions with their hands should take into account the basic requirements:
- The size of the stones. Then he ranging from 8 cm to 50 cm, choose according to your desire. But pay attention to the diameter of the mesh used, which must be less than the diameter of the pieces of stone. Otherwise stones will simply fall out through the aperture. In addition, it is necessary to ensure high strength and homogeneity of the starting material.
The use of pebbles in the fence
Production mesh for gabions
The primary fastening element entire fence structure of the gabion mesh is used. She also serves as the foundation and support bracket. Basically, galvanized metal mesh has a cell to form a hexagon or rectangle, which are divided into several main grid. To save money in the construction, you can make the mounting mesh with their own hands, thereby greatly reducing the cost of purchased materials.
For manufacturing you need the following materials:
- Section of a small diameter metal.
- Spiral wire.
- The locking pins.
For the creation and installation of the foundations should be passed through a wire spiral of your net. But it must be one of the sides left open that will allow to fall asleep after the gabion into the design. Then you need to fix the structure by means of pins. They are required to pass through the mesh down the sharp end.
Instructions for the collection section of the fence gabions
Cost of materials and ongoing work
If you do decide to buy ready-made fence gabions, you'd better pay attention on the desired size as them in the ground and determines the price.
For example, the structure size of 0.5 to 0.5 and 1 meter is three times cheaper than the embodiment with the size of 6 to 0.5 to 2 meters.
In addition, the cost of the material used will affect the design of the filler. All this is not the cheapest option, and that is why most individuals prefer to buy all the necessary material and assembly and installation is carried out on their own.
It looks like a grid for collection of gabions
Due to this diversity in the materials of the fence of the gabion is a versatile and reliable guard. Using precious and beautiful stones, you can decorate your house and plot.
The circuit assembly of the fence sections from gabions
And how do you know the price and constructive that do you? And is there a photo of your fences, rather than from the Internet?
How to make the gabion fence with their hands: making a fence of stones in a grid
As a good alternative to the barrier being built of brick and stone in the traditional technology, modern builders and landscape designers suggest using fences gabions - volumetric mesh designs, the interior of which can be filled with different materials. Traditionally gabions are made of mesh and stones, but the filler may be broken brick or tile, glass bottles, and other wood saw cut.
Gabion fencing with stone filling
By selecting different materials for filling gabions can give the latest variety of decorative features than successful and enjoy modern landscape designers. However, purely decorative - it is not only the dignity of gabions, which are due to the large mass endure extreme snow and wind loads, are not susceptible to deformation over time, even when installed on unstable ground. Important is that the installation of the fence of the stones placed in the mesh when compared to such a process with the erection of buildings made of stone and brick according to the traditional technology economically more advantageous. This advantage is explained by the fact that when installing gabions not require serious penetration, the creation and use of massive foundation concrete mix used for connection between the stones themselves.
Gabion structures, which were used a long time, was originally used as a prefabricated fortifications, including the military. A little later, with their help, we began to strengthen the banks of reservoirs, the slopes of ravines and hills, as well as equip terraces on sloping sites. It is only relatively recently on the decorative features of gabions noticed landscape designers, who have been actively used these structures to decorate adjoining areas.
Gabions as a retaining wall
Gabion structures are classified according to several factors, such as:
- geometric shape (flat horizontal type structures, which are also known under the name "mattresses Reno"; vertical solid structures - Jumbo End; gabions cylindrical type);
- type of grid used (gabions made from welded or twisted reinforcing wire mesh in the second case the cell used has a shape of a hexagon grid);
- type filler (gabions filled with stone et al.).
The main types of gabions
Of gabions for fences, generally use vertical duct volume, net elements which are made of thick wire sections interconnected by welding. For additional decorations such barriers can be used cylindrical mesh structure that will serve as decorative pillars. The fences made of gabions, often made a niche in which is easily built garden furniture. On top of these structures, if they fill layer fertile soil can be broken flower garden shrubs planted or dwarf trees.
If you decide to make a fence gabions with their hands, keep in mind that these structures due to the considerable weight not suitable for the manufacture of doors and gates. Meanwhile, to choose for such elements fences input groups of the design will not be big problems, as they are well integrated with Gates, is decorated in the art forging a normal metal.
And wicket gate in gabion structures are fixed on the pillars, preset within scaffolds
Using fences, made of gabions, not barrage construction of the traditional type, can successfully solve many problems, in particular:
- create a barrage construction in the middle of the pond or on its coastline;
- build fences in areas other than difficult terrain;
- build a reliable and attractive barrier in the soft ground.
How to make fence gabions
Fences made of stones placed in a metal mesh, as mentioned above, are built without the use of concrete mix, however they have some elements of mobility. It is this design feature allows the gabions are not taken into account in the construction of their shrinkage and swelling soil in 5-10 cm If the soil movement even within the above happens, this fence will never be destroyed and will not undergo significant deformation:. Stones simply redistributed and take another position.
When designing the construction and choice of material for filling of gabion fence must take into account these nuances.
- Large stones, which when placing gabions look very nice, are quite expensive. If the fence is erected substantial width, it is possible to arrange such stones only its outer wall and the inner part filling gravel or small debris, which are wrapped in geotextile.
- For the erection of the fence gabions can not pour the foundation. If their inner part is filled with small pebbles, then you must bury buildings carcasses into the soil to a depth of 20-40 cm.
- Most spatial rigidity of the gabion is achieved by using as its filler large stone and more accurate placement. Fences generated from gabions with the filler can be raised even without the use of protecting nets and even perform their installation on the ground surface, removing it only topsoil.
- If the light materials (wood saw cut et al.) A filler selected from the fence gabions, such construction should be mounted to the underlying layer of material, which may be a rubble.
High and narrow fence gabion requires more extensive training
Creating a fence or other barrier construction of gabions, keep in mind that possess maximum rigidity design, mesh frames which are made of thicker wire connected by welding. The nets made of thin twisted wire, large boulders can bulge outward, but such structures are not destroyed barrage, although they will not look very attractive.
Prepare the trench for the low fence of the gabion
When marking portion on which is mounted fence gabions enough to pull the string or cord for distinguishing the outer perimeter of the future structure. Site preparation is the following:
- On top of the soil is removed all debris, plants and topsoil, which contained seeds of these plants.
- Dig a trench of appropriate size.
- The bottom of the trench and its side walls is lined with geotextile, which will not grow weeds.
In order to prepare a mesh frame for collection of gabions, you can use one of the following ways:
- buy ready-made mesh with hexagonal cells made of twisted wire with zinc or a protective polymer layer;
- buy ready-mesh welded cards made of galvanized wire;
- using a thick wire, weld grid independently, and then coat them with a paint which is resistant to external atmospheric influences.
Bonding of the side walls and bottoms
Cell size of the finished card or manufactured independently chosen depending on what fraction of stones to be used for filling the grid structure.
Basic configuration of the gabion, which will act as a component of sampling includes:
- mesh side wall - 2 units .;
- end walls - 2 units .;
- bottom - 1 pc .;
- cover frame - 1 pc .;
- reinforcing lintel (depending on their structure size can be from 2 to 6 pcs.).
Installation of partitions and screed
As reinforcing webs in a grid of fences and stone used screed U-shaped type, which are necessary in order to ensure the stability of the construction and geometry created evenly distribute the load on its components. All elements of the gabion, except its opposite walls, are fixed together by means of special helices, the wire twists or other fasteners. Welded mesh, manufactured commercially, are usually in the form of maps 3h0,95 m size with cells of 5x5, 5x10 or 10x10 cm. Horizontal bars welded structures, usually made of wire of larger diameter and arranged at the outer part of the mesh frame.
Bookmark gabion stone
How to fill the gabion
When filling the gabion material selected recommended to adhere to certain rules, which are as follows.
- The stones should be arranged in layers, trying to stack them as tightly as possible to each other. In broad structures, as mentioned above, large stones are located only near the walls, and the inner part of the gabion is filled with sand, pebbles or debris, which are wrapped in geotextile.
- After filling structure until the middle of its height perform installation of reinforcing bridges.
- Gabion after mounting webs used material filled to the top.
- Large boulders used for filling the gabion can not be laid on the reinforcing webs - only on material layer over the fine fraction.
- After filling the gabion mesh boxes mounted on it and operate its next filling operation in the same sequence as generated by the fence reaches the desired height.
- Gabion own hands: step by step instructions and recommendations on manufacturing
- Joinery vice to the workbench: Doing their own hands
- Making the resistance welding of microwave ovens with their own hands
- Combs and rollers for its production: Doing their own hands
- Making the blast chamber with his hands: drawings, components, assembly
- Bending of profile pipes: do pipe bending machine with their own hands
Welcome grid where you can buy ready-made
Add a comment cancel reply
Step by step video tutorials practical Q & A
Ask an Expert Literature
Books metalworking Documentation
Passports machine tools GOST
Catalog of popular guest
wall thickness: mm
wall thickness: mm
Sheet thickness: mm
Total area: m 2
Total area: m 2
wall thickness: mm
wall thickness: mm
wall thickness: mm
Use of material is used with a full active link to the source.
Fences made of gabions with their hands - step by step guide
Fences made of gabions have quite an attractive appearance. They serve as an excellent alternative to stone and brick wall. This type of fence will look harmonious with holiday cottages, which is located next to the forest.
This enclosure meets all modern requirements: it is attractive, durable and reliable. Quite an important role is played also the fact that this design is environmentally friendly because it is made of natural materials. For a long time after the construction is not in need of care, and the price can compete with the cost of other types of fences.
Fences made of gabions are common today in the CIS countries. They are a continuous fence, which provides excellent protection portion from the eye of passers-by and wind. The territory through a fence to get quite difficult, because the design is durable. Linear foundation is not required.
Suffice it to only firmly concreted poles. The mesh is flexible, so it can be used for such structures, which are not afraid of shrinkage of the soil. Installation of the system is quite simple, and complete the entire range of activities you can own.
Before you install the fence will be launched from the gabion, it is necessary to ask what constitutes this concept. Translated from the French "gabion9raquo; - are stones in the grids. Last made of solid wire, which is filled not only stones, but also pebbles and gravel. The name reflects the design features to the full.
If the fence is built on technologies, then eventually it will find only further strength. It should not be assumed that such structures do not provide for the possibility to implement design ideas. On the contrary, they can be supplemented with greenery and wooden elements. In addition, the stones can be a variety of shapes and colors. They can be assembled in the sizes and shades, creating a whole pattern on the surface of the fence.
Such a fence can not only protect the property from outsiders, but also provide noise insulation. Therefore gabions today have found their wide distribution in the urban landscape architecture. They are used not only as elements of fences, but also for the stone facades of buildings and building equipment.
Preparation tools and materials
Before you will begin installation of gabions, you need to take care of the availability of tools and materials, including:
- staples from wire;
- Preferred filler;
- steel pins;
- metal lattice;
- metal spiral;
- wire ropes.
Preparation before installing the fence
Fences made of gabions can begin to set after the completion of training. Supporting pillars at the base, which are mounted the first will have to withstand heavy loads. To begin with prepared area, carried out its markings. It is important to decide and the right amount of material.
It is necessary to identify the location of the point of support with the construction of the roulette. Professionals recommend to stick to the step of 2.5 m. Building a fence gabions, make this distance is no longer recommended because such designs are quite massive, and supports necessary to maintain an impressive power.
To install the poles need to dig a pit on a marking. Post should delve a third of its length. Wherein the standard width is 20 cm. The height of the fence will be quite conventional deeper by 70 cm. If the fence will have a height of 2 m, the depth should be increased to 115 cm.
In the next stage column is installed in the prepared pit. Props must be rectangular or square, in which case the mesh will be easier to fix. However, a circular cross section can also be used. Support should be positioned vertically, verify the installation, you can use the building level.
If you decide to build a fence gabions with their hands, step by step instructions presented in this article will help you. It is important to set the pole, fixing it with the help of wooden props. Further, the space is filled with the solution and compacted. Similar actions should be carried out with the other pillars.
In order to proceed with the installation of a grid, the concrete must be left for three days until it is hardening. The next step will be the installation of a wire frame, which will be laid stones. Mesh Fixation can be done by one of several methods typically used for this purpose:
Mesh for gabions secured using tie clips, which will fix the opposing blade. When mounting mesh its ends preliminarily be treated with zinc-paste or any other corrosion inhibitor.
At the final stage of installation will be necessary to lay out the stones. It is important to ensure a homogeneous continuous filling. Even after you fill in the grid for gabions, you can change and adjust the position of the stones. This is ensured by the flexibility of the web.
Exterior enclosure will depend on the color, size and texture of the filling, as well as square cells, and their shape. Too small stones will look not very attractive, and small cells, as well as too large, will not be allowed to lay flat canvas.
Additional recommendations for installation of fences
Generally, fencing equipment of the gabion 4 includes a number of stages. The first is the preparatory part. It involves not only the layout area and determining the location of the pillars of points, but also the calculation of the amount of material. The second stage - the equipment poles. Next stretched fabric from the grid.
After that, special attention should be paid to places of clipped wire. At the last stage, the filling. The stones can be laid by hand. If they are chosen correctly, the difficulty in this case should arise. stone size should not exceed 40 cm in diameter. The material should be uniform and dense.
The width of the mesh openings must be less than the size of the stones, otherwise no way to avoid their loss. Stones, it is desirable to take the oval, rectangular or round. It is important to pay attention also to the frost resistance of the material. It should copes with negative weather conditions, which will be operated by a fence. In the selection of granite it is important to consider its radioactivity.
Fulfilling the gabion fence and a tree, the last of which will be the basis of support, you must correctly set the grid. As it stands the web with hexagonal cells. The material can be polymeric or galvanized coating. Among other things, you should buy galvanized welded cards. The grid can cook yourself and cover weatherproof paint.
Using welded cards, you should prefer galvanized product with square cell with a side of 5 to 10 cm. The final value will depend on the fractions of stone. For ease of manufacture gabions are made following formats: height ranging from 0.5 to 1 m; width equal to the limit of 0.3 to 1 m; as regards length, it can vary from 2 to 6 m.
If you decide to build a fence gabion, how much is this design - a question that certainly should interest you. Thus, the work will cost the consumer of 2200 rubles. per meter, if it is a gabion, which measures 30x50 cm. The price includes the preparation of the base and concreting of the pillars.
As for materials, then galvanized mesh can be purchased for 1300 rubles. Its size will be equal to 200x250 cm, while the cell will have the following parameters: 100x50 mm. Boulder will cost the customer in 8000 rubles. per cubic meter. If you want to use pebbles, then purchase it will be 10 000 rubles. per cubic meter. Granite has an average value of 5,000 rubles. per cubic meter.
Once you are set pillars of gabions for taking the above-described scheme, you can proceed to the choice of stone. The most commonly used hard rock, among which:
Suffice distributed sandstone and other stones with high frost resistance, as well as imposing a degree of strength. If you decide to install gabions surface, use a stone that are larger than the mesh at 30%. Underwater structures are complemented stones, which parameters exceed the size of the cells by 50%.
Described above fences foundation sometimes supplemented with a pillow based on sand and gravel, which is well sealed. If before you had to choose a grid, it is necessary to choose galvanized or stainless steel material is one that has a PVC coating. Before starting work, it is important to correctly determine the load that will be provided on the structure. Otherwise, it may simply fall or keep their linear dimensions.