- 1 OSB plate - characteristics, application
- 2 OSB (OSB) plate: standard dimensions, specifications
- 3 OSB: what it is and where it is used
OSB plate - characteristics, application
OSB plate - one of the most popular materials for the construction market. We will understand that this is a material as it is and where it is used.
Studying building materials, we often encounter such a name as OSB boards - as OSB, OSB. This abbreviation stands for oriented strand board, or oriented strand board.
Buy OSB-boards and other building materials, delivery of their order you can samostroy!
OSB has a moderate cost, good performance characteristics - and is used as the outer and the inner trim during construction. But what exactly is this stuff?
OSB is made from natural wood chips and consists of three main layers. Thin wood chips processed adhesive composition and placed in a longitudinal manner on the bottom layer in a cross - in the inner layer, and again in the longitudinal - on the upper outer layer. Thereafter, the finished slab pressed at very high temperatures, and as a result the adhesive hardens, making the material into a thin and dense, uniform surface.
Oriented strand board invented in America a few decades ago when in mass housing construction frame, it became clear that no ordinary tree or chipboard do not allow to build low-cost but high-quality home.
On \ the coating perfectly fits PVC tile that combines the advantages of ceramic and linoleum.
OSB was a good intermediate option between conventional wallboard and chipboard. Oriented strand material has high strength but reasonable price, and thus maintains a fairly good resistance to deformation - due to its transversely of the longitudinal structure.
- At the moment, there are many varieties of RSD, including differing in appearance. Laminated, lacquered, corrugated - the material is suitable to perform exterior trim and handsome enough to create a budget interior.
- OSB is lightweight, long serves, it is very easy to work with - the material is easily cut and drilled on its surface lies well paint, wallpaper, tiles and plaster.
- OSB board remains quite stable to temperature and high humidity, and also reduces the noise level in the premises and holds the heat.
And of course, all these advantages are complemented by the main advantage of OSB boards - it is inexpensive. In the market there are both very cheap and more expensive options - but even material "Class Suite" is available from a financial point of view.
Types of OSB and specifications
Plates produced by compressing wood chips, are divided into several varieties. They differ in their characteristics - wherein the main parameters are the strength, moisture resistance and thickness.
In total there are four types - of OSB-1 to OSB-4. A brief look at the characteristics of each of them.
- OSB-1. This is the least durable species that is practically used in construction and decoration. It has a low level of strength and moisture resistance. When immersed in water for twenty-four hours its swelling ratio is 25%. Strength Indicator buckling is 2500 N per square millimeter, with cross - 1200 N per millimeter square.
- OSB-2. Next variety chipboard differs slightly greater strength - 3500 and 1400 N per square millimeter of the longitudinal and lateral force respectively. However, the moisture resistance of the material is low - level of swelling of 20%.
- OSB-3. This kind belongs to a higher class. Indicators of its strength are the same as in previous versions - but the humidity is much higher. In constant contact with water material swells only 15%. OSB-3 - the most popular among buyers view chipboard, since the good performance material retains affordable price.
- OSB-4. It is the quality of oriented strand boards - you can even use it to create load-bearing structures. It has a strength of 4800 and 1800 N per square millimeter of the longitudinal and transverse pressure over night to contact with water to swell it is only 12%. True, the price of such material exceeds the value of the previous OSB almost doubled.
In addition to the strength and water resistance, the thickness is of great importance. It may be from 8 to 26 millimeters. Typically component thickness depends on the grade, the stronger the plate, so it is thicker in diameter.
Another important parameter - a measure of the flammability of OSB. Unfortunately, oriented strand board are a class of G-4 - that is, are silnogoryuchim material. This is not surprising - after all, they are made from natural wood chips. To make the material more manufacturers fire plate treated with special compounds and impregnations. However, it should be understood that in case of fire CAP somehow ignited - and even the most high-quality material can not be completely non-flammable.
Whether for health material is harmful?
OSB boards are used not only for foreign but also for interior decoration. Until now, there is debate on how the material is harmful to health. Opponents oriented strand boards argue its position so that the manufacture of the material used manufacturers formaldehyde impregnation. Consequently, the operation must inevitably give off vapors hazardous to human health. But is it really?
In general we can say that it all depends on the specific manufacturer and its approach to product stewardship. OSB boards may have four environmental labeling options: E0, E1, E2, E3. Although that class E3 plates contain 30 milligrams formaldehyde emission per 100 grams of material, and the class of plate E0 - to 6.5 milligrams of total, maximum permissible norms of harmful vapors do not exceed any one species.
In addition, most manufacturers - especially western - trying to further reduce the presence of formaldehyde in their materials, replacing toxic impregnation safe polymer compositions. Many varieties of CAP recommended for use in interior decoration - if their toxicity is a health hazard, the material could "have a tolerance," only to external works.
Finally, the environmental safety of RSD support customer reviews, directly using the material in the construction and decoration:
Last summer I overbuilt the second floor of the country, used the OSB and the outside and inside. The material is very like - to work with him easily, interior trim elements holding steady. Many say that the plates are harmful to health - but nothing suspicious in a few months, I have not noticed. Until late autumn was sleeping in a room completely lined with OSB - there were no headaches, no dizziness, no symptoms of toxicity.
To finish the house and was looking for material for the inner liner, which would have looked good and did not cost much. He stopped at the OSB-3 from the Russian brand. Plates cost is cheap, perfectly fit into the interior. In terms of toxicity, in my opinion, it's just a myth. My plate belong to the class E-2, he is not considered the highest. But time after construction passed a long, about one and a half years, almost constantly I live in a house with OSB-plating. Absolutely no complaints, I feel great and I think that no vapors plate is not isolated.
OSB-2 used the house floor, put linoleum - and got an excellent floor covering. Smooth, beautiful, well-mutes the steps, the floor remains warm. Relatively environmentally friendly OSB-boards - six months that have passed since the date of repair, no negative noticed. It seems to me, a high level of toxicity can have very cheap materials from dubious manufacturers - and if you take a high quality slab from a known brand, even glue impregnation she would be safe.
We have considered that OSB is a material as it is, and whether it is safe for health. It remains to understand what specific areas are used oriented strand board.
The spectrum of use OSB is incredibly broad. In particular:
- Strong OSB-4 class is used for the construction of farm buildings and frame houses. Of course, a building constructed of OSB-plates, can not stand for decades - but it will be high-quality and affordable temporary housing.
- OSB-plates are used for decorating exterior and interior walls. The material is held firmly on himself shelves, racks and even heavy radiators.
- OSB sheathe floors, walls and even ceilings with interior decoration. Top material can close flooring, plaster, paint - Oriented strand board would be a good basis for any coating and further play the role of heat and sound insulation.
- Another area of application of OSB - is the furniture industry and the manufacture of packaging. Inexpensive, lightweight, but strong material is often present in the structure of cabinet and upholstered furniture is a good container of carriage.
Summing up, we can conclude that the extruded slab of wood chips sufficiently durable and moisture resistant. Although its characteristics RSD definitely inferior to solid wood and other materials, such plates are indispensable in the construction of small and finish with a small budget.
Useful article? Add to my bookmarks!
OSB (OSB) plate: standard dimensions, specifications
Sheet construction materials used in the skeletal housing construction, when dry alignment planes. One such material - OSB (OSB, OSB). She pressed plywood, particle board, GCR. And all because, when the good technical characteristics, has a low price.
One sheet of building materials - OSB (also called RSD). The name - an abbreviation of the full name of the material - "oriented strand board". That is correct, this material called CAP. The second name - OSB - is derived from the transliteration of the English version of the name - OSB (oriented strand board). English letters are simply replaced with a similar in Cyrillic.
Here is a view of OSB
SIR - a laminate (3 or more layers). Each layer consists of wood chips are milled in, mixed with resins. Chips used long and thin (a few millimeters thick, a length of 7 cm). Chips in the layers located in opposite directions: the outer layers have a longitudinal orientation, internal - lateral. Due to this, a high elasticity and dimensional stability. In various resins used as a binder. They provide the material with water resistance, but contain formaldehyde. It is the content of this substance stops many from using SPF. But if the material produced according to GOST, the formaldehyde emission is not higher than wood. That's just to check it out is possible only in laboratory conditions. So the only hope for the inspection bodies ordinary buyer. Or choose another material.
Depending on the consumer properties of oriented strand board is available in several forms:
- OSB 1 - for designs without loads, operation is possible only in a dry place;
- OSB 2 - for bearing structures under normal humidity conditions (for covering indoor scaffolds);
- OSB 3 - for bearing structures in high humidity (outside sheathing at Frame-house construction, including as a continuous purlin under some types of roofing materials).
- OSB 4 - for bearing structures with considerable loads operated in conditions of high humidity.
Edge plate may have a recess and a groove - to connect without gaps
If you need water-resistant OSB, watch the choice of the manufacturer. Be prepared for the fact that the CAP 3 nevlagostoykih more expensive brands. More money will have to pay for OSB 4. Search for the cheap stuff is not advised. Too many complain that purchased OSB 3 from moisture swollen to 3-8 mm, in some cases even potsvelo or overgrown with fungi. All of this - because of attempts to reduce the cost. For this use less disinfectants, cheaper binder. Chinese manufacturers instead of pine chips lay hardwood, which is easily affected by fungi and diseases.
Features and specifications
OSB compete with other sheet materials in the construction (for sheathing frames, creating formwork) and in the trim (lining of walls, floors, ceilings). This is facilitated by CAP properties:
- Durability is approximately the same as that of plywood and 2.5 times higher than that of particleboard.
- The high degree of water resistance. According to the standards, water absorption while in the water during the day not more than 10%.
OSB has become popular due to their properties
Once again I draw your attention that the moisture resistance and resistance to deformation characteristic of CAP, which were made in compliance with the technology. Unfortunately, the material does not differ Russian manufacture high quality. Use less powerful press, trying to save on communication, do not put markings. As a result, there are many examples of negative experiences: plates from moisture swell, their warps, glue washed ... Out - look for imported slab (Europe or US) production. In connection with the growth of the dollar right now they have a lot of prices, very few of them on the market, but, if you wish, you can find or order delivery.
Comparison of characteristics of sheet building materials
The situation is compounded by the fact that the difference between waterproof OSP3 from nevlagostoykogo OSP2 1 or impossible in appearance. They are much smaller than the last. Unscrupulous vendors selling cheaper disguised as water-resistant. So it turns into trouble. As a way out can proceed as follows: buy one sheet OSB 3, check their behavior at high humidity. If there is no visible change to buy a lot.
CAP Properties allow the use of this material as a building or finishing. Here in any work it can be used:
- Sheathing frames and walls inside and outside.
- Leveling the floor, the ceiling.
- Flooring rough or finished floor on logs.
- Removable formwork when working with concrete.
- Solid sheathing under the shingles, metalocherepitsu, slate, soft roofing materials.
- Manufacture of SIP-panels and thermal panels.
Debate among developers about how safe OSB are constant. In its production using resins which release formaldehyde. Manufacturers claim that the release of the substance does not exceed 1%. Materials with a formaldehyde emission are read completely safe. Approximately the same amount of the substance identifies wood. Because these materials are allowed for the construction of children's furniture. Besides appeared OSB plates with 0.5% emission. You can distinguish them by two criteria: in the name stands console or Bio Green and they are more expensive.
OSB has a wide range of applications
Please note that the level of formaldehyde emission should be monitored. Each batch of material should be checked, specify actual parameters in the accompanying documents. Despite all the arguments, not all consider it a safe material, preferring to use natural material - planks. They are, without a doubt, an eco-friendly material, but to work with the boards longer, they are more expensive. In general, everyone decides for himself - to use OSB or not.
The dimensions of oriented strand boards
Since the appointment of OSB is different, comfortable can be different sizes. The situation with dimensions OSB boards difficult. On sale is constantly 1220 * 2440 * 1250 mm and 2500 mm. There are formats 1250 * 2800mm, 1250 * 3000mm, 1200 * 6000mm, but they are in our market is extremely rare, although in many cases their use is much more convenient. Picking the right size eliminates the need to "doraschivat" missing centimeters or saw off the extra. But there are not many on the market, as it is - plates imported and the import is now difficult ...
OSB can be of different thickness
OSB can be of different thickness - 9 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 18 mm, 22 mm, 25 mm. For each type of usage suits its thickness:
- Wall cladding, ceiling - 9 mm.
- Solid sheathing under the roofing materials - by 12 mm.
- On the floor plate will SIR of 15 mm thickness.
One of the applications of OSB plates - removable formwork for concrete work
OSB - a convenient building material. It can be cut normal saw on wood, use a grinder with a cutting blade, jigsaw. Material well is drilled, it is possible to use screw nails without pre-drilling. But then their hats stick, which is not always convenient.
Before finishing OSB panels coated with a primer. It is adjusted depending on the finishing materials - to align the absorbency and improve the adhesion with other materials.
OSB: what it is and where it is used
When there is a need to produce construction or finishing work, then immediately there is a problem: what material to use. After all, work must be done safely, and design to serve a long time. We should not forget about financial investments, they should be fully justified. Therefore, the increasing application finds the OSB, which has many positive characteristics.
What is OSB or OSB? Immediately you should pay attention to a variety of titles that are found everywhere. Sometimes there are disagreements on this issue. So, OSB and OSB - is the abbreviation for oriented strand boards, which comes from the English OSB.
OSB boards manufacturing process of the chip in several layers
As the name suggests, it is possible to conclude that the process of manufacture. Used for the production of chips that has a different size. This differs from this plate particleboard and fiberboard, which are the basis of sawdust. Strength and elasticity is obtained by the arrangement of the layers - each of them is perpendicular to the previous one. This feature is borrowed from plywood, veneer which has the same sequence. Of course, we can not forget about the adhesive, which affects the quality characteristics.
OSB is divided into types, or rather classes. They vary in scope. Decided to allocate:
- CAP-1. The material has a low resistance. Used for minor works.
- CAP-2. Suitable as skin load-bearing structures, but only in dry rooms.
- OSB-3. The most common type that can be used for decoration and construction. Good resistance to interaction with moisture. But long-term exposure leads to a gradual distortion.
- OSP-4. The most stable option. But there is one drawback - the high cost.
OSB is divided into several classes, for use in various fields
On a note! Now a lot of talk about the harmfulness of OSB. Indeed, the binder is formaldehyde resins with additives. But modern technology makes the material completely safe for humans. Although the choice of plates it is necessary to pay attention to the certificate of conformity.
From the above it becomes very obvious that such OSB. The popularity of the material has become quite natural, because of its characteristics, which are combined with relatively low valuable. That is why the OSB has an extensive range of applications. But keep in mind that even with all the boards resistance to wet environment - they are subject to destruction.
For interior decoration OSB are used in the following situations:
1. Creation of floor coverings
Plate - an ideal material for such works. They are sufficiently smooth (error not greater than 0.3 mm) and strong. They can be laid directly onto the substrate. For example, they are perfect for lining concrete screed. On such a surface is great to go to laminate or tile.
OSB boards are ideally suited for creating flooring
But most often used for OSB sub-floor houses. Although in this case to allow the greatest number of errors. Therefore, we must take into account the following parameters:
- Location lag. The distance between them depends on the class of the product. If you make a mistake in this index, the floor starts to sag.
- The device substrate. A typical mistake is considered to be the direct location on the open ground. This leads to the fact that the slab begins to absorb moisture. Everything happens for a long time, but the result of one - the formation of mold and sagging structure.
- Class OSB. For these works the third grade material. Although, if work is performed for the surface lining, it is possible to use types with lower rates.
2. Application OSB for interior partitions mounting
The construction of interior partitions using OSB - a versatile and practical solution. It allows you to quickly get a smooth surface that requires minimal preparation for final finishing.
The construction of interior partitions using OSB
The beauty of this option is that there is a possibility for additional insulation of the room. SIR is placed on a pre-erected honeycomb framework, which beforehand is filled with mineral wool.
The construction of the frame and the mineral wool insulation is an important step in the installation of interior partitions OSB
On a note! For these works the material of the second and third class. Further processing consists in applying paint formulations. Also considered the final decorative coating. For example, for a wall cladding tile is necessary to putty surface.
There is a general scheme of the works:
- In the first stage of a pre-primer. This is done by penetrating compounds. Such an event can reduce the absorbency of boards, and to eliminate the possibility of allocating resins. The subsequent process depends entirely on the decorative coatings.
- If you plan to use the wallpaper, then add a little glue PVA.
- When a painting, it is better to choose oil paints. A surface impregnated with linseed oil.
Before the use of OSB boards must be primed
On a note! Minor problems can occur when the OSB sheets have a glossy front part. This means that the adhesive has previously been added to the wax or paraffin. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out the impregnation of the primer with quartz sand. This creates roughness, which will consolidate other materials.
Using slabs outside buildings
It is not surprising that this material has become widely used for work on the lining of houses and other buildings. Most often it can be found in the following situations.
Construction of frame structures
In this case the use of OSB boards occurs by reaction with other materials. Namely - the sheets are used to create panels. They are ready blocks that lined density wood sheets. Within such a structure is a heater.
Thus, one can much reduce the time required for the construction of facilities. Of course, you must take into account the special climatic conditions of each area. The fundamental error is that the sandwich is mounted in violation of technologies that are fairly simple.
On a note! For many works sandwich panels do not apply. For example, in high-rise construction.
For such purposes is used only OSB-3. Of course, it is possible to use a higher, fourth grade, but it unreasonably expensive.
For the installation of OSB is being built on the basis of the framework of wooden beams
Such work is carried out according to the following technologies:
- Erected the main frame. This is done with the help of a wooden bar, which is pre-processed by the desired composition. Keep in mind that for the application of OSB - require a rigid structure. Particular attention is paid to the foundation or supports.
- Before facing plates require prior preparation. They are quite sensitive to the constant influence of the environment. First of all the ends begin to suffer, so they are thoroughly impregnated.
- Surface itself need to be painted or primed. Much depends on the type of final finishing.
It is important to bear in mind that the OSB panels can not act as a final layer. They necessarily coated with a protective material.
Application of RSD occurs in such a scenario (when stained):
- Good processed ends. The sheets are stacked with leaving small gaps. Such joints are filled with acrylic sealant.
- Priming applied mixture. If required, a further impregnation occurs sealants, water-based. It is necessary to dry and sanded surface.
- Next, fit the plaster facade, better to choose a flexible compositions. Attention is paid to the joints, which have previously reinforced.
- Now you can paint the walls with acrylic or oil mixture. They are characterized by good resistance.
Facades of buildings made of OSB, look very attractive
In fact, all kinds of OSB are becoming increasingly popular. Therefore, their scope is not limited to finishing or construction activities. Several options for alternative use:
- Production of interior items. In particular - the furniture. For the most part, it frames for sofas and armchairs. Although there are variants of cabinets.
- Various types of packaging. This may be packing for transportation.
- Finish vehicles. Most often, truck trailers.
A material such as OSB - is the key to successful development. But many people mistakenly believe that it is possible to not follow the rules and technology. OSB - facilitates the process, but did not make it any less responsible.
- Doors, arches
- Oven, Fireplace
- Finishing facilities
- Bathroom, toilet
- Corridor, hall
- Balcony, loggia
- other rooms
- finish buildings
- Summer cottages and homes
- Wooden houses
- Saunas and steam baths
- Decoration Materials
- gypsum plasterboard
- facing panel
- Wallpaper, cork
- Laminate, linoleum
- Decorative plaster
- Finishing work
- Painting, whitewashing
- Exterior finish
Today, in an age of individualism developed, manufacturers are offering numerous types of baths, can satisfy the needs of even the most.
Embossed decorative plaster - a method of applying a solution in which the walls formed texture pattern.
Mosaic on the apron may be one of the most successful design solutions for the kitchen. In our.